AVHS STEM Courses: There are MANY courses to explore STEM here at AVHS. View some below and read the course guide for details.
Fab Lab Classes:
- Fab Lab Essentials
- Fab Lab Advanced
- Fab Lab Mentorship
- Fab Lab Production, Sale and Store
- Drone Construction, Modification and Flight
- Introduction to Graphics
- Introduction to Computer Animation
- Computer Animation Design Lab – Great for engineering
- Introduction to Engineering
- Engineering Design
- Digital Electronics Engineering
- Principles of Engineering (POE)
- Civil Engineering & Architecture
- Prototype Engineering
- College in the Schools (CIS) – Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Interventions
- Others too!
- IT Exploration 1513
- Accounting & Advanced Accounting
- Check out their other courses too!
- Narratives and Literacy in Gaming – Narratives and Literacy in Gaming will focus on the playing, analysis, and creation of video games.
- Writing for STEM Disciplines – Writing for STEM Disciplines is designed for all students who want to improve their ability to write clearly and effectively for the modern STEM fields.
- EaglEye 1 – This class will create broadcast productions to be televised throughout AVHS.
Certified Nursing Assistant – You only need to take one of these sections.
7743 Certified Nursing Assistant A Grade: 11, 12
7744 Certified Nursing Assistant B Site: Rosemount High School & TBD(Likely at AVHS)
7745 Certified Nursing Assistant C Prerequisite: None
Length: Two Periods(3&4), One Trimester
Certified Nursing Assistants are in high demand and provide an entry into all aspects of health care. Through hands- on and laboratory experience, students will understand the role of a nursing assistant, develop the skills to address patients’ basic needs and apply their skills in a clinical setting. Students taking this course will take both the written
and skills exam to become a Certified Nursing Assistant on the Minnesota Department of Health Nursing Registry.
• Students successfully completing Certified Nursing Assistant may have the opportunity to earn college credit from a post-secondary institution. Please contact the course instructor for more information.
- Emergency Services Courses -Emergency Medical A 7746; Law Enforcement B 7747; Fire Fighting C 7748. Rosemount High School (see more information below)
- Advanced Emergency Services C 7749. Rosemount High School (see more information below)
- Forensic Science A, B, and C 7750, 7751, 7752. Rosemount High School
- Advanced Forensic Science A, B, and C 7753, 7754, 7755 Rosemount High School
- Music Production 1 & 2. AVHS
- Medical and Health Care & Advanced Medical and Health Care. Rosemount High School.
- Mentor Seminar & Mentor Field Experience AVHS.
- Computer Networking and Cybersecurity. Length: Two Periods, Full Year Recommended. Will be AVHS if we can are able to get enough AVHS students to sign up!!!The Computer Networking and Cybersecurity course presents students with recognized industry standard training. Using text and graphics animation, students will learn basic networking terminology, internetworking concepts, and basic network routing and switching. In addition, students will complete hands-on projects such as wireless networking and homemade routers. Upon completion of this course, students will be prepared to take an industry recognized technical skills assessment.
Students successfully completing Computer Networking and Cybersecurity A, B and C may have the opportunity to earn Articulated College Credit from a post-secondary institution. Please contact the course instructor for more information regarding articulation agreements and participating colleges and universities.
- Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries
Courses available at Rosemount High School
*If you are interested in enrolling in any of these courses, contact Mr. Perkins (Don.Perkins@district196.org) to do a schedule change.
- 7746 Emergency Medical Services A
- 7747 Law Enforcement B
- 7748 Fire Fighting C
Grade: 11, 12
Site: Rosemount High School
Length: Period 6 & 7
Law enforcement, firefighting and emergency medical service (EMS) careers demand quick thinking, adrenalin and sweat to answer the calls from individuals who need help or when responding to a natural or manmade disaster. First trimester, students will learn how to assess and treat wounded or sick patients while on scene by using all of the equipment found in an ambulance or rescue truck. During second trimester, this class focuses on criminal investigative techniques, state traffic and criminal law, and gives students an inside view of the wide variety of law enforcement career choices offered by local, state and federal agencies. Third trimester, the class includes learning fire suppression techniques while in full firefighter turnout gear, incident management, and awareness level certification in hazardous materials response.
- Students successfully completing Emergency Medical Services A, Law Enforcement B and/or Fire Fighting C may have the opportunity to earn Articulated College Credit from a post-secondary institution. Please contact the course instructor for more information regarding articulation agreements and participating colleges and universities.
- Students have the opportunity to become certified at the state and national levels as an EMS First Responder (required for all police and firefighters in Minnesota). NOTE: A student donation of $20 will be requested.
Advanced Emergency Services (7749 Advanced Emergency Services C)
Site: Rosemount High School
Prerequisite: Emergency Medical Services A
Length: Two Periods, Spring Trimester
This section of the course will prepare students to take the written and practical skills test required for certification by the Minnesota Emergency Medical Services Board as an Emergency Medical Technician. This national certification is the basic level required for ambulance drivers in the United States. As a part of the EMS training each student will be required to have completed and passed a CPR course at the Professional Rescuer level and received Emergency Medical Responder certification through the Minnesota Emergency Medical Services Regulatory Board. This course will refresh the skills learned in the first trimester of Emergency Services Occupations and will also add the required knowledge needed in order to pass the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians written exam.
The evaluations in the course will include the following:
- State Evaluator score earned as part of the EMT Practical Skills Test (8 stations).
- The score received after taking the FISDAP computerized EMT preparation exam (150 questions).
The State of Minnesota requires all first time EMTs to pass the computerized test administered through the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). This test is given in Eagan and will cost $70 each time it is taken. The FISDAP preparation exam is 96% accurate in determining if the candidate is ready to take the NREMT exam.
Students successfully completing Advanced Emergency Services C may have the opportunity to earn Articulated College Credit from a post-secondary institution. Please contact the course instructor for more information regarding articulation agreements and participating colleges and universities.
Career Development Courses: 2017-2018 Registration Guide. Note: E3 STEM can provide transportation to other locations if needed to take advantage of these courses. Check out the following programs: Healthcare career courses, Cisco Networking, Computer hardware, Software & game design, Animal science, etc.
Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries 4554 (Grades: 10-11-12; Prerequisite: Fitness for Life). This course provides instruction, demonstration, and hands-on-training in the basic principles of first aid and athletic training. It also provides instruction in anatomy and physiology of the human body. This course includes developing the ability to deal with common medical problems, common injuries occurring in sports activities, and athletic taping techniques. Time is also devoted to research of sports medicine careers. Students who are interested in becoming student athletic trainers are provided with the background to perform this role.