AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Experience
What?: When groups of eagles come together in the wilderness the gathering is called a convocation. We are calling for a convocation of AV Eagles to come together on a wilderness canoe trip on Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota with up to 40 students from AVHS and elsewhere. Students can also earn an elective field science credit or a credit recovery credit in science or English. View photos from the 2019 trips here: Zimmerman’s Group. Lynch’s Group, Godfread’s Group, Dolphy’s Group, Grande’s Group.
Who?: AVHS students in grades 9 – 11. Students cannot repeat this class unless they are selected at a Teacher Assistant or we do not fill the 40 slots with new campers.
- Ask our AVHS Laketrails campers from last year! It was a really fun trip! You will also learn many things while out in the wilderness about yourself and the world around you.
- Opportunity to earn 1 credit recovery credit in English or science if needed.
- Opportunity to earn 1 elective field science credit (called Summer Science Institute).
- The trip runs from July 19 – 27 for summer 2020. You will be going on a 5-day canoe trip after an orientation at the base camp.
- Mandatory parent/student informational meeting on May 12 in the Community Room at AVHS from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Presentation
- Gear Drop Friday, July 17 between 12 – 2 pm at Main Entrance: Drop off all of your gear except what you want to have available to you on the bus ride.
- Group Team Development Friday, July 17 from 2- 4 pm. Meeting in commons by main entrance: Come ready to do stuff! 🙂
- Bus Departs for camp: July 19 at 6:00 am: Be there a few minutes early to grab your gear and load it into the bus. Meet at main entrance.
- Bus Returns to AVHS July 27 around 7:00 pm.
Where?: Laketrails Base Camp on Oak Island, Lake of the Woods – www.laketrails.org. Yes, it is way at to top of Minnesota! You have to briefly travel into Canada to get there. View photos of Laketrails here – http://laketrails.org/laketrails-gallery/. More information about Laketrails: Laketrails Parent Information Packet 2019.
Cost? $550.00 for 2020 trip. Reduced cost to $200.00 for 2020 trip if you received free & reduced lunch support. We have resources to support up to 20 students. We have special donation support help up to 5 students who cannot afford the reduced $200.00 fee. If you cannot afford reduced rate contact Ms. Kusch in our office. Payments will be made through FeePay.
How do I sign up? Use the AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Program Packet in the packet.
The Laketrails forms below DO NOT need to be completed until the parent/student meeting on May 12 You are welcome to complete and turn these in before the meeting if you like: Go to this page on the Laketrails website to find these forms:
Complete: 2020 AV Eagle Convo Program Packet and return to Mr. Zimmer by March 20 in Room C130, Parent authorization form to cross the border and the health history form on this site. You will be crossing the Canadian border. You will need to supply a passport or certified copy of your birth certificate in order to participate.
Complete this required ISD 196 overnight field trip form – > Overnight Field Trip Medical Info FORM. Complete this 2nd required ISD 196 from – Convocation of Eagles – Parental Disclaimer for Field Trips Not Sponsored by the District.
Turn in the registration form to Mr. Zimmerman in Room 166 or Ms Kusch in the office by March 20. All other forms can be turned in at the mandatory parent/student meeting on May 12 in the Community Room from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Information form for trip.
What do I need to bring? “What to Bring List” from Laketrails.
Note: We will help you get what you don’t have from the list below. Don’t worry about this!
- Clothes for camping and clothes for base camp. We will supply a camera and journal for classwork.
- Sleeping bag, rain gear, hat, warm jacket, towel, swimsuit, personal hygiene items, flashlight (with batteries), water bottle.
Teacher Assistants: We will be “hiring” up to 5 returning students to help our teaching staff prepare for the upcoming trip. You would help our teachers with t-shirt creation, organization of supplies, parent/student information meeting, pre-trip prep meeting and other organizational needs. Once up at camp you are a regular camper but expected to set a good example for other new campers. Complete this application by Jan. 17 if you are interested. Application – Google Doc version (Make a copy and complete it.)