AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Experience
What?: When groups of eagles come together in the wilderness the gathering is called a convocation. We are calling for a convocation of AV Eagles to come together on a wilderness canoe trip on Lake of the Woods in northern Minnesota with up to 40 students from AVHS and elsewhere. Students can also earn an elective field science credit or a credit recovery credit in science or English. View photos from the 2019 trips here: Zimmerman’s Group. Lynch’s Group, Godfread’s Group, Dolphy’s Group, Grande’s Group.
- Ask our AVHS Laketrails campers from last year! It was a really fun trip! You will also learn many things while out in the wilderness about yourself and the world around you.
- Opportunity to earn 1 credit recovery credit in English or science if needed.
- Opportunity to earn 1 elective field science credit (called Summer Science Institute).
- The trip runs from _________ TBD for summer 2020. You will be going on a 5-day canoe trip after an orientation at the base camp.
- Mandatory parent/student informational meeting on a _____ TBD in the Community Room at AVHS from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Presentation
- Gear Drop __________between 12 – 2 pm at main entrance: Drop off all of your gear except what you want to have available to you on the bus ride.
- Group Team Development _________ 2- 4 pm. Meeting in commons by main entrance: Come ready to do stuff! 🙂
- Bus Departs for camp: ________at 6:00 am: Be there a few minutes early to grab your gear and load it into the bus. Meet at main entrance.
- Bus Returns to AVHS _______ around 7:00 pm.
Where?: Laketrails Base Camp on Oak Island, Lake of the Woods – www.laketrails.org. Yes, it is way at to top of Minnesota! You have to briefly travel into Canada to get there. View photos of Laketrails here – http://laketrails.org/laketrails-gallery/. More information about Laketrails: Laketrails Parent Information Packet 2019.
Cost? TBD for 2020 trip. Reduced cost to TBD for 2020 trip if you show a financial need for a limited number of students. If you cannot afford reduced rate we will work with you. Normal camp rate is $550! First-time campers will be given preference for camperships. We are currently applying for grants to help cover camperships.
How do I sign up?
- Use the AV Eagle Convocation Wilderness Program Packet in the packet.
- The Laketrails forms below DO NOT need to be completed until the parent/student meeting on _______ You are welcome to complete and turn these in before the meeting if you like:
- You will be crossing the Canadian border. You will need to supply a passport or certified copy of your birth certificate in order to participate.
- Complete this required ISD 196 overnight field trip form – > Overnight Field Trip Medical Info FORM
- Complete this 2nd required ISD 196 from – Convocation of Eagles – Parental Disclaimer for Field Trips Not Sponsored by the District
Turn in the registration form to Mr. Zimmerman, Mr. Fritz or Ms Kusch by __________. All other forms can be turned in at the mandatory parent/student meeting on ________ in the Community Room from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. Information form for trip .
What do I need to bring? AV Eagle Convocation Pack List (Spreadsheet) – Sheet1.
Note: We will help you get what you don’t have from the list below. Don’t worry about this!
- Clothes for camping and clothes for base camp. We will supply a disposable camera and journal for classwork.
- Sleeping bag, rain gear, hat, warm jacket, towel, swimsuit, personal hygiene items, flashlight (with batteries), water bottle.
Teacher Assistants: We will be “hiring” up to 4 returning students to help our teaching staff prepare for the upcoming trip. You would help our teachers with t-shirt creation, organization of supplies, parent/student information meeting, pre-trip prep meeting and other organizational needs. Once up at camp you are a regular camper but expected to set a good example for other new campers. Complete this application by April 2 if you are interested. Application – Google Doc version (Make a copy and complete it.)